Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Magical Blanket


Here is the much anticipated surprise project I was frantically working on for Christmas. Years after my little sister Michelle died, my mom had mentioned that someday she wanted to make us all a quilt using pieces of Michelle's clothes.

As the granddaughters have come along my mom would start sending a few things home with us here and there for them to wear and then when they were outgrown we'd send them back to her. A few months before Christmas, my mom sent Linz and I home with the majority of her clothes and she told us to get use out of them with our girls and that when we were done with them she didn't need them back.

As I got looking through them many were extremely worn, some stained, some I couldn't bear the thoughts of them getting ruined and some just plain out of date. So I got to remembering when Mom had mentioned the quilt idea and mentioned it to Linz. We decided it was a great idea for Christmas, but then time flew by so quickly and she got wrapped up in many of her own projects. So...2 1/2 weeks before Christmas I decide I'm going to make this quilt by myself. (Side note: I haven't sewn in over 7 years and even then, I had step-by-step help with making a simple pair of pj's for Taylor.)

I kept questioning the project wondering if I could do it emotionally and then if it would turn out decent and be satisfying to both my mom and I. A good friend at work was very helpful throughout the project with giving me hints and telling me what my next steps were, and Linz helped sew a couple rows together. Other than that, this was my baby!!

Before I cut into any of the clothes.
There was multiple reasons for taking pictures of the clothes before I cut them...the main being that I was terrified that my mom would be so upset that I cut into them, so I wanted a way that she could remember them whole if my bright idea ended up as a catastrophe.

When I cut the first several squares I just sobbed. It was a good cleansing cry and many memories resurfaced throughout this project. My entire family was in on it and were so excited.


This is before all of the rows were sewn together.

The completed piece!!

Everyone at work and around me knew about this project. I was so excited I could barely contain myself and it was so hard keeping it a secret. For that reason I'm glad I didn't start it much sooner, it just would have been that much harder waiting.

So when opening presents we saved this one until the very last. We had kleenex ready to go around and everyone's attention and cameras ready.

Some pictures and expressions are priceless!!
Even Miss Hollie was so excited to see her reaction, as you can tell.

When she opened it and realized what it was, she immediately began crying and said, "You did it!!" Many tears were shed and I just kept asking her to tell me it was ok that I did it. I still was so scared that she'd be upset that I cut into the clothes. And she reassured me that it was perfect!!

Sometimes there are no words.
She went through each square and identified what article of clothing it had come from and whether or not it was one that she had made for Michelle.


Such a proud moment, I must confess! It was the most magical gift I have EVER given someone. I don't know that I could ever give and receive the same feelings of excitement and love as I did with this quilt. It was an honor and tribute to Michelle and a way to keep her memory alive. And something that will be cherished forever.


I love my mom more than she'll ever know!!



All us girls under the quilt!

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”


This quote comes to my mind when I think of Michelle! She came and went so quickly and I will never be the same! She will forever be in my heart!! I love you Michelle & I hope this quilt will be of comfort to my mom as she wraps herself in Michelle's memories.

16 comments:

Anne H said...

Wow! I can't believe what a great job you did. That was such a neat idea. Definitely worth the wait. =)

BryceandSally said...

Kellie, That is the most beautiful quilt!! It brought tears to my eyes! Your mom will cherish that forever!

Brittany said...

Kellie, That is absolutely beautiful!!! You did a great job! I am sure your mom loved it!!! You should feel so good about your accomplishment!!!

Sam and Chelsie said...

Wow!!! It is amazing how you have a feeling that you need to read something.... your post touched me a lot! Today is Kasey's 18th Birthday and I was trying to think of something that I could post that would touch other people. That quote says it all!! Thanks Kell.... I needed that!!

The Botts said...

Hey! I'm so glad u decided to do it and found the time :) I was curious after our conversation that one night and then never hearing about it again ;) granted lots was going on at that time!! I love the pic of your mom opening it!!! I'm glad u were so glad of how it turned out and obviously your mom LOVED it!!!! What a special gift.....good job girlie.

Brittni said...

Wow. Here come the waterworks! It is really beautiful Kel. You did a great job. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. The picture of all the girls is darling. :) Happy new year!

Jami said...

Kellie, you did a GREAT job! It's beautiful and I can't stop crying. I'm sure your mom is more than thrilled. What an awesome idea!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a great gift! I bet it was scary to cut into them but now you made lots of pieces into one beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing this on your blog!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!! I would have been terrified to start a project like that, with no experience. It looks amazing:) I know your mom will be forever grateful for it, clothes would just sit in a bag and stay in a closet, now she can snuggle in it whenever she misses michelle and remeber her, and look at each piece and have a specific memory to go with each. Great job!!!!

Jimmy,Amber,Marlie,James and Jack said...

That is just awesome. What a great way to remember your sweet sister. Your pictures of this are just priceless. Great Job!

the heath's said...

It turned out so cute, Kellie!! I am so glad you caught her reaction in photo. I teared up just looking at it so I can only imagine how she feels. That was the most amazing gift you could ever give her while working through the grieving process for yourself was probably equally rewarding. Good JOb!!

Lindsay Phenes said...

Oh what a project that was. I'm very grateful that it is done - those late-night phone calls to come help were exhausting ;) But well worth it. I think that was everyone's favorite present that was given this year! Great job, sister :)

Miss Cindy said...

Okay, you have me bawling now!
What a precious gift for your mom! And I am SO proud of you. I want to wrap up in that quilt and feel Michelle again! She will always be Miss Cindy's Angel....Forever and Always! :) I love you and your family!

KIM said...

thanks for sharing! that is SO AWESOME!! I am extremly impressed, and thanks for making me cry :) KIM

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Lifes Great Adventures said...

What a neat gift! I think of your sweet sister, what a angel she truly was & is! You are amazing to have done that. I am sure your mom will treasure it forever!!

Home Is Where Your Story Begins

Welcome to the happenings of the Bess Family!

I'm trying to jump back into the blogging world again! I've had a LOA for about a year but I'm back!

Be sure to let me know where I can find your blog as well, I would love to see what's going on in your life!