Friday, May 10, 2013

Blessings of the Priesthood

I'm sure there are lots of things I could talk about that have happened in the last year with Shaun, but bottom line I'm dying to put this out there and share it with any one who will listen.

This is very spiritual in nature to me and my family, but seeing as I'm not a faithful journal writer, this was the next best way for me to preserve such exciting memories for us!

Let me set-up the scenario of how this all came to be.  I had foot surgery in October and I was laid up during the time when my temple recommend was about to expire.  I have the sweetest Bishop and he didn't want it to have to wait until I could make it to church again, so he came to my house for my recommend renewal.  When it was all done, Shaun came walking in to the living room and said to Bishop Sanderson, "we need to talk about what I need to do to get to the temple."  Ok, I'll be honest, my jaw probably dropped to the ground, but of course I tried to act all calm and collected.

So, fast forward a few months and Shaun and I started the temple prep classes.  It was an excellent review for me and he seemed so excited.  Shaun had always told me, "when I start working towards becoming active again and then making it to the temple, hold on, I'll be doing it fast!"  Wasn't sure exactly what that meant but I think I've witnessed it.  The temple prep class was about 4-5 weeks and then a week or so later he had his interview with the Stake President so he could be ordained an Elder.  They normally present the name before the congregation at Stake Conference for someone receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood/being ordained an Elder.  We recently had our stake conference and so we were told they'd need to present his name before each ward in our stake.  We show up at church on Sunday and the Bishop comes up to Shaun before it starts and tells him that the Stake President is there and they'll present his name today.  And then tells him, we'll take care of this after Sacrament meeting, oh....and who would you like to ordain you?!  We were both totally blown away and had no idea they were doing it this week until 2 seconds ago, and so long story short...the President of the High Priests is the one who ordained him and it was only the Bishopric, the Bishops wife, and our family there for the ordination, but it was perfect!!  I wish we would've known ahead of time so he could have invited our immediate families, but it was sort of fun to go home and surprise them with the news, we're all so proud of him and the changes he's been making.  The blessing he was given was beautiful and one thing that stood out to me that I wanted him to be able to refer back to later was that 'he'd be blessed with a more thorough knowledge of the Melchizedek Priesthood with time.'  He was born LDS and went to church as a child, and then off/on once he hit 16 years old.  And to hear that the Lord blesses him with continuing knowledge of the sacredness of his Priesthood really stood out; to think of what's yet to come with him in His work, it brings such a feeling of love and peace to my soul.

Obviously this was a necessary step along our path to the temple together, but even after this I still thought he'd be a month or so further out for getting his temple recommend, but that didn't prove to be the case.  A week or so later and he had his recommend in hand...

1 comment:

Paparazzi Boutique said...

Kellie, what a moving story. You had me in tears. I'm so glad you felt comfortable sharing such a personal and spiritual experience with us. I'm so excited for what is in store for you and your cute family. The gospel brings such sweet blessings to our lives! We are so lucky to live in the fullness of times when we can partake of all those blessings, including the temple.

Home Is Where Your Story Begins

Welcome to the happenings of the Bess Family!

I'm trying to jump back into the blogging world again! I've had a LOA for about a year but I'm back!

Be sure to let me know where I can find your blog as well, I would love to see what's going on in your life!